Welcome office and information desk for foreign researchers in Nantes

Tel. 00 33 (0)2 53 46 21 73 Contact us


Chercheurs nantais

More services

For information, most shops do not accept 500€ notes.



 Coming to Nantes:

- check out the connexions to Nantes: Nantes Airport. The shuttle bus costs 9 € and takes 20/25 minutes to reach the city center. More information on the Tan (local bus network) website. To reach the airport (or coming to the city center) it is also possible to use the tram line 2/3 until Pirmil stop. And then take bus number 98. One normal ticket (1,60€) is enough for both transport (2€ if you buy your ticket on the bus). 

- many daily trains to reach Paris. See times and conditions on the SNCF website.


How to get around in Nantes: use the many buses, tramways and busway. Local map and information.


In France, you can drive with your driving licence wherever you have passed it during the whole duration of your residence permit, as long as it bears "student" status.

If your visa or residence permit has the mention "Passeport Talent: Chercheur", "scientifique", "salarié" or "vie privée et familiale", you can drive with an official translation of your foreign driving license for one year (from the start date of your first residence permit, or the online validation of your VLSTS visa). Beyond that, it is necessary to check if you can apply for the exchange of your foreign driving license for a French one: see on this official website (in the chapter "Conditions à remplir") the list of the countries which have an agreement of reciprocal exchange of driving licenses with France.


 201113 EN schema permis de conduire


1. If you can exchange your foreign driving license : click on the next chapter "Comment faire la demande?" to find the list of required documents, and the link to the official page to submit your online request, by creating your personal account (on the top right hand side corner). For any question, refer to FAQ page, chapter "Permis de conduire étranger". The permit exchange request is possible during the year following your arrival in France, from the start date of your first residence permit, or online validation of your VLSTS visa.  After this period, it will be too late to request the exchange, you will have to pass the driving license in France: code and conduct. More information here. If you have applied for a driving license exchange for more than 6 months and you have no news, call 34.00 (price of a local call) or from Overseas and abroad (non-surcharged number), in order to get an update of your application talking directly with an advisor -in French, ask the help of an French-speaking contact).


2. If the country in which you obtained your license does not have a reciprocal agreement with France: you are allowed to drive for only one year, with an official translation of your foreign driving license. Beyond that, you will have to take your driving license in France.

Please note that the international license is valid in France for one year only from your date of entry into French territory. It is not exchangeable for a French license.



On the driving licence in France.



It is very difficult to open a bank account in France from abroad. You can ask your usual bank if they have a branch or partner bank in France and start the procedure.

Otherwise, once you have arrived, we will give you our local contacts in different banks that can welcome you in English.



In France, since January 1st 2019, income tax is now deducted from your salary each month. However all incomes have to be declared in May each year. We inform you about a month before the deadline for submitting your tax report with an updated guide (see below). If needed, we can also help you filling it in.


It’s important to have your tax number, please ask for it here and send the Cerfa form N°2043. Tax number is required to :

- ask for a personalized withholding tax rate, to avoid overpayment from your salary each month by the tax Office.

- open your personal account online on the official page here, manage your taxes (incomes tax, local residence tax…) and declare your incomes online in May each year.

Remain vigilant before the deadline for declaring your incomes in May : if you still can’t access your personal account online, you’ll have to declare by paper version then.


Here is what you need to read if you have worked in France and you have received some income/grant in 2020.

 Deadline for declaring your income is : June 1st online or May 20th 2021 on paper*

*Submitting your tax declaration on paper is possible ONLY if you declare for the first time and still don't have a tax number. In all other cases, you need to do it online.

More information about income tax here (in French).

Form to download "Formulaire 2042: Déclaration de revenus" (Millésime 2021) and fill in will be available early May here.


The local tax is attached to the flat/house you live in and is calculated according to the surface. If you live in a residence with fully furnished flats, the tax should be included in your rent.  If you rent a flat with a private landlord or with an agency, you should ask before signing the contrat how much the tax will be. It applies to you as long as you are in the flat on January 1st. It usually amounts to one month full rent and includes TV licence.



 How to declare your income and pay your taxes in France.


Photo La Tour de Bretagne vue du Cours des 50-Otages : nantes-just-imagine.com

Chercheurs étrangers à NantesEuraxess

Création site internet : Agence web Images Créations