You have a residence permit OR a “long-stay-visa-valid-as-a-residence-permit” (VLSTS) that will soon expire : you wish to renew it with the status “PASSEPORT TALENT CHERCHEUR” or “FAMILLE”. Please check the list of documents needed. You can contact us by phone if you wish to make sure of your situation before coming to see us.
PLEASE NOTE: the renewal of residence permits must be prepared four to two months before the expiration of the valid permit.
There are several reasons for renewing: we strongly advise you to contact us to check which is the appropriate process according to your situation
Do NOT submit your application online if you have a “récépissé”, or an “APS” (temporary Authorization to Stay), or if you want to apply for a 10-year residence card: contact us.
Algerian researchers should NOT submit their documents on the online platform but send them to us by email. After checking your documents, you can come to our office with a copy of each scanned document and two identity photos. We will then give your file to the Prefecture and schedule an appointment for you with their services if necessary.
You must apply for a residence permit on the official website of the Ministry of the Interior.
To carry out this process together, send us your documents by email for us to check them (see the list below, step 4). Then you can come to our office with your e-photos and your documents in a USB key or in your personal computer.
You must first take e-photos in a suitable photo booth (example: the one at Fnac – place du Commerce – Nantes center)
On the official website of the Ministry of the Interior, you can choose the language at the top right (French, English, Chinese). Throughout the online process, you can save the information at each step: if you stop the process, you will then be able to go back to your last saved application and continue from there.
1) Account creation: If you never did it in the past, you must first create your account. You will be asked for your foreigner’s number (10 digits on your validation certificate of your VLS-TS) or your personal number on your residence permit, the validity dates of your VLS-TS or residence permit, as well as your email eddress. An email will be sent to you and you will have to create a password (more than 8 characters, with lowercase, uppercase and at least one sign). Back on the platform’s home page, you will then be connected to your personal account. You can now click on “Apply for a residence permit”.
2) Personal information: Complete your identity and contact information.
3) Main purpose of stay: Complete the information related to your professional siuation.
4) Download your documents: It is possible to download 3 files per requested item.
- the current residence permit will be requested, or the VLS-TS (“long-stay-visa-valid-as-a-residence-permit”) and its validation
- Passport: first page with identity details and validity dates
- E-photos with electronic signature (you must first take e-photos in a suitable photo booth, such as the one at Fnac – Place du Commerce- Nantes). Please note, you sometimes have to wait 2 hours before you can use the e-photos number on the residence permit application platform. Any new application will require new e-photos.
- Proof of residence dated less than 6 months: rental contract OR rent receipt OR electicity, gas, water, internet, landline or mobile phone bill. If hotel accomodation: hotel certificate AND invoice for the last month. If you are hosted: certificate form the host dated and signed, AND their valid national identity card or residence permit AND their proof of address dated less than 6 months
- At least the Master’s degree, or temporary certificate.
- The Hosting Agreement (“Convention d’Accueil”) dated and signed by the laboratory and by you.
- For doctoral students (except Algerian nationals) who have a 3-year-doctoral contract, contact us before you apply online, to check together your residence permit’s length possibilities
5) Summary: If necessary, you can write down any additional information here in the “Comments to the administration” field. Check the information entered and downloaded documents. Once this step has been validated, you will no longer be able to modify your request application.
6) Validation: You will receive by email and via your personal account on the platform
- a confirmation of the submission of your 1st application for a residence permit
- then a certificate of extension of your visa, if necessary
- then a certificate of positive decision that confirms the dates of validity of your future residence permit
- finally a notification to pick up your residence permit at the Prefecture in Nantes. It should be ready about a month later.
? On the platform, in “Need Help?” at the top right, you can find answers to some of your questions (in French) under “votre demande de titre de séjour” FAQ and if not, contact us!
Spouses of researchers, with a “Passeport Talent: Famille” visa must apply for their own “Passeport Talent: Famille” residence permit on the same platform.
The date and place of marriage, the name / first name / date of birth of the researcher and his/her foreigner number will be requested. This number will be assigned to the researcher a few days after submitting his/her application, so the spouse has no other choice but to wait for the researcher foreigner number in order to submit his/her own application.
For the official document for children (DCEM) see our « family issues » page, chapter “residence permit for the family”.
Information for foreign driving license: to drive in France, you may have some formality to do.Refer to our Driving Licence page.